Just returned from my trip to Istanbul. I flew Turkish Airlines and I must say, I was positively surprised! A little history, Turkish Airlines is one of the fastest growing airlines today; They have a fleet of 202 aircraft consisting of Airbus and Boeing; their flagship is the impressive Boeing 777-300ER, which the airline currently have 12 of with 15 on order. Turkish Airlines flies to over 200 destinations worldwide; making it the largest destination network from one hub. Their motto is “Globally Yours“, which I find rather fitting. Turkish Airlines has been a member of the largest airline network, Star Alliance, since 2008. The prestigious 2012 World Airline Awards ranked Turkish Airlines the 7th best airline in the World, Turkish Airlines also won The Best Airline in Europe in 2011 and 2012, superseding airlines like Lufthansa and SWISS.
- TK1788 / CPH – IST / 0820am – 1235pm
- TK1785 / IST – CPH / 0250pm – 0510pm
- TK1788 / Airbus A320-200 / 12 Business Class seats / 147 Economy seats / Seated in 11D (Exit row)
- TK1785 / Boeing 737-700 (Winglets) / 12 Business Class seats / 112 Economy seats / Seated in 8A
Seating, onboard service etc.:
On the outbound flight, I was seated in an Exit row seat, which was very nice. Roughly 2-3 more inches of space. I read that the seats can’t recline, that isn’t true; they recline fine. What really amazed me, was the fact that Turkish Airlines offer a FULL meal service on all their flights, I was astonished to discover this. With todays economy, I thought many airlines were leaving that level of service out on such a short flight (Mere 3 hours). But nonetheless they served a full breakfast on the outbound flight and a full lunch on the inbound flight, menu as follows:
Breakfast on TK1788:
- Almond Cake
- Turkey Ham And Cheese Toast
- Assorted Cheeses
- Bread Selection
- Butter / Jam
- Coffee / Tea / Juice / Spirits / Soft Drinks
Lunch on TK1785:
- Smoked Salmon
- French Green Bean Salad With Yoghurt
- Stuffed Eggplant With Minced Meat with Rice / Tomato Sauce (My choice)
- Or Chicken Skewer With Arabic Spice with Sauteed Leaf Spinach / Rice
- Vanilla Pannacotta
- Bread Selection
- Spirits / Wine / Beer / Coffee / Tea / Soft Drinks / Juices
I was really impressed with these meals, they were incredibly tasty, specially the Eggplant With Minced Meat on the inbound flight. Seating was standard Economy seating, so you had a normal 31-32 inch pitch. The morning outbound flight was very empty. The inbound flight was full and when we checked in at Istanbul Airport, I asked for Exit Row seats. The Check In Attendant said that we were flying an Airbus A330-200 to Copenhagen, which I found rather excessive and didn’t really believe it; he said he had Exit row seats at the back of the plane, I didn’t believe him, so chose to keep the seats I got from checking in online the night before. And as predicted, we flew a Boeing 737-700 to Copenhagen and not an Airbus A330-200. There were problems on board the inbound flight, some of the passengers were missing their rows, so I am guessing there was a mistake in the airline allotment system.
- PROS: Meal- and drink service free of charge, Exit row seating, in-flight movie (Ice Age 4), free headphones, the in-flight magazine is very good.
- CONS: Incredibly slow service, rude staff and lack of English capabilities, way too many stupid PA’s, taxing in CPH was incredibly slow, same goes for taxing at IST.
Take-off from Istanbul Ataturk International Airport on TK1785
Hope you enjoy! I can definitely recommend flying Turkish Airlines and my next trip will have to be a long-haul trip, possibly in Business Class.